Standing out from the typical island-style accommodation you would expect to see in Zanzibar is the boutique Z Hotel Zanzibar. With its London-inspired design, the four-star hotel brings something unique to the northern beaches of Zanzibar and offers a fresh experience for the modern-day traveller.
Set in a lush garden just off the palm-fringed Nungwi shore, the Z Hotel provides a reprieve from the modern world without taking away the comfort of it. Rooms are fully equipped with Cable TV, LCD TV, Wi-Fi and docking stations.
On the doorstep of your seaside room is some of the best diving and snorkelling in the world. For the more adventurous traveller, the Mnemba Atoll is a mere boat ride away and is home to one of the highest concentrations of turtles on Earth.
Z Hotel Zanzibar
Location and Views
Like only a few Tanzanian hotels or indeed Zanzibar hotels, the trendy accommodation is located in the lively fishing village of Nungwi in the northern tip of the island. As one of Zanzibar’s more popular beaches, the seafront has a number of bars and restaurants that offer exciting nightlife.
From the tropical garden surrounding the hotel, guests have direct access to the white sands of the beach. The focal point of the hotel is centred around the swimming pool area, which is accompanied by a lively bar that overlooks the ocean.
The surrounding village is buzzing with activities and offers everything from underwater adventures to Tanzanian safari trips that can be organised through a partner of the hotel. Stone Town, the renowned cultural hub of Zanzibar, is also only an hour’s drive away.
Within walking distance from the hotel is the Mnarani Marine Turtle Project. With the help of local fishermen, this inspiring initiative helps conserve the island’s native turtle population.
After a busy day exploring, guests can book a treatment with the hotel’s new Sky Spa or simply head back to the tranquil rooms to relax.
- Rooftop bar with ocean views
- Infinity pool
- Direct access to a private beach
- Fully-equipped fitness facility and open-air yoga classes
- Three restaurants
- Free breakfast buffet
- Lush garden
- Spa and treatment rooms
- Concierge services.
- Front desk service (limited hours)
- Transportation to the airport
- Free high-speed Wi-Fi
- Multilingual staff
- Diving, snorkelling, horseback riding and fishing activities
- Rooms equipped with air conditioning, housekeeping, a minibar, cable / satellite TV, a safe, a hairdryer, and docking stations
- Please Note: This hotel does not cater for young children
Food and Drink
Set alongside the ocean, the Sexy Fish is the hotel’s signature alfresco style restaurant that is only open for supper. Guests are treated to a European-African dining experience with an international selection of wines.
A highlight of the restaurant is its locally sourced fish dishes. On an island famous for its spices, the flavour of each dish is enhanced by a unique Zanzibar flare.
Make your way to the first floor of the hotel and you’ll find Cinnamon – an airy café with seaside views. If you’re in the mood for Asian cuisine, Cinnamon has a selection of platters and stir-fries. The casual menu also offers staple items like burgers and salads.
As the sun dips behind the ocean, you can order drinks from the café’s fully stocked bar while you soak in the view. If you’re celebrating something special on your trip, a private area can be set aside for more intimacy.
For a more lively affair, the hotel has Rooftops – a bar on the second floor that offers an extensive selection of champagne and cocktails. Kick back on the comfortable coconut wood loungers and enjoy the open air and views below.
The interior design of the hotel reveals the exclusive work of Philippe Starck. While there are East African touches, it has a predominant contemporary, minimalist feel.
Travellers should not expect the boutique standard that one would experience in a city like London. The room’s furniture is, however, something to behold. Each room contains beds that are made from locally sourced coconut wood. Guests gaze onto endless ocean or garden views through French glass doors that lead onto a private balcony. The air-conditioned rooms are all fully equipped with Cable TV, LCD TV, Wi-Fi, hairdryer, electronic safe and docking stations.
There are 39 rooms available at the Z Hotel with the following options: Garden & Sea View, Roof-Top Suites, Ocean Front Cottages and the Z Suite.
- The Garden & Sea View rooms give guests easy access to the lush garden or the beach. Some sea view rooms on the ground floor have a partial view of the ocean that may be obstructed by palm trees. The sea view rooms on the second floor provide unparalleled panoramic views. A double garden view room costs $265 in the high season while a sea view room costs $295.
- The Rooftop Suites offer over 50 square metres of living space and guarantee uninterrupted coastal views. A double rooftop room costs $390 in the high season.
- The spacious Ocean Front Cottages have 60 metres of living space and a floating deck to soak up the sun. For a more secluded seascape experience, the cottages are separated from the rest of the hotel. A double ocean front cottage costs $420 in the high season.
- The luxurious Z Suite spans the entire rooftop and offers an impressive 70 square metres of living space and an additional 45 metre wrap-around terrace. The suite is renowned for its views and added amenities like a jacuzzi, lounge area and cocktail bar. The Z Suite costs $470 in the high season.
Better safe than sorry... I highly recommend travel insurance for Tanzania. Use the quote calculator from our partner, World Nomads. World Nomads provide comprehensive travel cover as well as specific coverage for hiking up to 6000m, which is perfect for Kilimanjaro.